Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. Locate the countries of the Western Hemisphere as well as the major cities and landmarks on a map.
2. Discuss the terrain and climatic conditions in regard to the development of the region.
3. Exhibit knowledge and understand landmark dates, historical events and current developments which shaped Inter-American Relations.
4. Recognize the colonial history of Latin America and the historical and social factors that influenced the development of Latin America.
5. Utilize critical thinking to assess, analyze, and understand the conflicts and the cooperation that has occurred over the past century.
6. Assess Liberalism and Dependency Theories and their social ramifications.
7. Recognize the Latin American debt crisis and the role of international entities such as the IMF.
8. Recognize the current political issues including immigration, trade agreements, human rights issues, the narcotics trade, and the promotion of democracy.