Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. Discuss and write about their broad understanding of American national characteristics, exploring the issues of multiplicity and unity as they are represented in literature.
2. Discuss and write about American cultural ideologies and how they affect and are affected by historical events and literary productions.
3. Discuss and write about how ideas and themes in American literary works can shape the ideas and themes of international productions.
4. Discuss and write about strategies authors employ to convey ideas and themes, how these ideas and themes address concerns within their own eras, and how these ideas and themes relate to concerns of the present-day reader.
5. Do research that leads to a formal written analysis of one or more American literary works, documented in correct APA format.