On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Describe the importance of transportation in the global economy and its role as a source of competitive advantage for firms and governments operating nationally and internationally.
2. Explain the essential role that transportation plays in supply chain management.
3. Discuss the historical development and effects of regulatory laws and public policy on the various modes of transportation and summarize the security issues facing the transportation industry and describe what the government and private enterprise are doing to deal with these issues.
4. Describe the unique and common characteristics of the individual transportation modes.
5. Explain the forces driving intermodal cooperation and operations.
6. Use various metrics to analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of in-house or outsourced transportation operations.
7. Analyze macro and micro economic influences on transportation costing and pricing.
8. Describe the unique challenges associated with international or global transportation management.
9. Explain different shipper strategies for improving performance and describe the role of third parties in domestic and international transportation management.
10. Explain the role of technology in managing transportation networks and processes.