Upon course completion, students will be able to:
1. Describe the historical and contemporary approaches to public administration and discuss the application to today’s organizations with emphasis on the managerial, legal, and political perspectives.
2. Compare and contrast the different levels of American government: Local, state and federal, with relation to the general role of public organizations.
3. Evaluate the growth and development of regulatory administration in the United States with emphasis on aviation organizations.
4. Differentiate the core public administration values of separation of powers, legitimacy, diversity, liberty and freedom, procedural due process, equal protection, individuality, ethics, and accountability.
5. Compare and contrast public sector activities including collective bargaining, decision making, and budgeting with that of the private sector.
6. Explain the historical development and issues relating to public policy analysis and policy evaluation, and examine measures to appraise how successfully public policy has been implemented.
7. Research one aviation related public organization. In your analysis of the organization, identify the functions carried out by the organization, the problems typically encountered, and the contributions of the public organization to the field of aviation. The results will be submitted in a double-spaced, typewritten report of not less than seven or more than ten pages.