Upon completion of the course, students will be able to do the following:
1. Describe fundamental data and database concepts.
2. Describe a database management system (DBMS), and identify its main components, and functions.
3. Explain the advantages and disadvantages of data processing.
4. Recognize the key steps in designing a database and understand the database development process.
5. Compare and contrast the relational database model with other database models.
6. Demonstrate an understating of Structured Query Language (SQL).
7. Discuss basic database concepts such as functional dependence, referential integrity and primary keys.
8. Outline entity types and sub-types and associated characteristics.
9. Discuss the need for database administration.
10. Differentiate the database management approaches.