Graduate Regulations and Procedures

Catalog Applicability

The catalog in effect at the time of the student’s initial matriculation remains applicable as long as the student remains in the original degree program. If a student does not maintain continuous enrollment at the University, the student must apply for readmission. The provisions of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission then become applicable.

Students who change from one graduate degree program to another come under the provisions of the catalog in effect on the date the change of program petition was approved.

A petition to come under the provisions of a later catalog requires approval from the department chair or designee.

Course Load

While full-time status is six credit hours in fall or spring (3 in a summer session), students normally take nine credit hours per fall or spring term. Courses above nine credit hours require permission from the appropriate department chair. If a student demonstrates exceptional academic performance, the department chair or designee may approve a maximum one-course overload. A student’s enrollment may be restricted when deemed in the best interest of the student.

Grading System

The following indicators used on grade reports and transcripts signify the quality of a student’s academic performance.

Letter Grade Student Performance Grade Points Per Credit Hour
A Excellent 4
B Satisfactory 3
C Passing 2
F Failure 0
WF Withdrawal from the University-Failing 0
W Withdrawal from a course N/A
AU Audit N/A
I Incomplete (Passing) N/A
IP In Progress N/A
N No grade submitted by instructor N/A
P Passing grade (applies to the grading of the Graduate Internship, GRP, or Thesis) N/A
T Credit accepted by transfer N/A

Transfer Between Graduate Degree Programs

A graduate student who wishes to transfer from one program to another must prepare a written petition before the transfer will be considered. Requests for transfer of credits from Embry-Riddle or other institutions and/or advanced standing credits should be included in this petition.

The department responsible for the new program, however, has the prerogative to accept or reject the student’s request and to determine the courses applicable to the new program. Students should contact the appropriate graduate program coordinator.

When a student elects to transfer from one degree program to another, the catalog in effect when the transfer is approved is applicable.

Repeating a Course

Students may petition the graduate coordinator of their degree program to repeat one course in which less than a grade of B was earned for the purpose of improving their grade point average. Both grades earned appear on the transcript, but only the replacement grade is included in the calculation of the grade point average. This applies to thesis credit as well. For purposes of repeating a course, all credits for GRP or thesis will be considered as one course.

Internship Grading

A final grade of P or F is awarded upon completion of a graduate internship.

Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses

During their senior year, Embry-Riddle undergraduate students may take selected Embry-Riddle graduate courses, normally 500-level, for credit toward their undergraduate or graduate degree. Students must have earned at least 88 credit hours towards their undergraduate degree, have the approval of the program coordinator of the appropriate graduate program, and have at least a 2.50 CGPA to qualify for enrollment in graduate courses while an undergraduate. Credits earned at the 500 level can be applied either to undergraduate or masters degree requirements as designated by the student. Once approved, the designation by the student becomes permanent and may not be changed at a later date.

Additional Graduate Degrees

A graduate student is allowed to apply up to 12 applicable credit hours from one graduate degree program to meet the requirements of another graduate degree program. In order to be awarded a second graduate degree, the student must satisfy all the requirements of the degree sought.

Time Limitation for Degree Completion

The student has seven years from the date of admission to the master’s degree program to complete the degree. An Embry-Riddle course older than seven years at the time of graduation may not be used in the program of study for a master’s degree (prerequisite courses are exempt from this requirement). Transfer courses older than seven years, earned at other universities, may be accepted at the discretion of the appropriate program chair. Students who do not maintain continuous enrollment (missing enrollment at the University for a period of two years) must file for readmission to the University, although seven years is measured from when the student was first admitted to the program.