Undergraduate Regulations and Procedures

Catalog Applicability

The catalog in effect at the time of a student’s first semester of study remains applicable as long as the student remains in the original degree program.

If a student does not maintain continuous enrollment at the University, they must apply for readmission. The provisions of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission then become applicable to the student.

Curricular requirements stated in the applicable catalog will not be affected by later catalogs unless the student elects to graduate under the provisions of a later catalog. Students who change from one degree program to another, come under the provisions of the catalog in effect on the date the change of program petition was approved. Students electing to graduate under the provisions of a later catalog must meet all requirements (admission, transfer, graduation, and so on) contained in that catalog.

Course Load Status

Enrollment in 12 credit hours constitutes the minimum load for full-time student status during the fall, spring or summer semesters. Students enrolled in fewer credits than the minimum full-time load are classified as part-time. All audited courses and courses taken for credit are counted in determining the student’s load for a semester.

The maximum credit hour load is 17 credit hours for spring or fall semester or 9 credit hours for each session of the summer term. Students may register for an overload of hours with advisor approval. A student with 28 or more completed credit hours and an Embry-Riddle cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher may register (with advisor written approval) for up to 18 credit hours in a fall or spring semester, with no increase in tuition for hours over the block.  Registration for credit hours over 18 will be charged at the per credit hour rate. Registration for the additional credit hours above 17 must be completed at the Office of Records and Registration. The completed credit hours and cumulative GPA will continue to be calculated until the semester start date. A preregistered student’s tuition may be recalculated if there is a change in the cumulative GPA or number of completed credit hours.

Class Attendance

Because regular attendance and punctuality are expected in all courses, attendance may be included in the grading criteria of an individual class. Absences are counted from the first scheduled meeting of the class. Students that do not attend the first week of classes without notifying their instructors will be dropped from the course.

Because minimum contact hour requirements have been imposed by the FAA for certain classes leading to FAA certificates, attendance requirements in those courses are rigorously enforced. Explanations for all absences should be given to the instructor in advance whenever possible.

A final examination is normally given in each course at the end of the semester. A student who misses a final examination without advance permission from the instructor may be assigned a failing grade (F) for the course. A grade of incomplete (I) may be given if the student has obtained advance permission from the instructor or can provide satisfactory evidence that the absence could not be prevented.

Grading System

The following indicators, used on grade reports and transcripts, signify the quality of a student’s academic performance.

Letter Grade Student Performance Grade Points Per Credit Hour
A Superior 4
B Above average 3
C Average 2
D Below average 1
F Failure 0
AU Audit 0
I Passing but incomplete 0
IP In progress 0
P Passing grade (credit) 0
S Satisfactory (noncredit) 0
X Advanced standing credit granted for experience outside the University 0
T Transfer credit 0
N No grade submitted by instructor 0
W Withdrawal from a course 0
WF Withdrawal from the University - Failing 0
XP Course Equivalency Examination passed & advanced standing granted 0

Classification of Students

Students are classified at the end of each semester based on the total number of credit hours earned in accordance with the following schedule:

First-Year fewer than 28 hours
Sophomore 28-57 hours
Junior 58-87 hours
Senior 88 hours or more

Repeating a Course

With the exception of flight courses, which may be repeated only once, a student may only attempt any University course three times. In the case of extraordinary, extenuating circumstances, a fourth attempt may be granted by the Chief Academic Officer or designee. The grade for each attempt will appear on the student’s permanent academic record. In determining the student’s CGPA, the grade for subsequent attempts at a course replaces the previous grade a maximum of two times.  All subsequent attempts will be included in CPA calculations.

Course Equivalency Exams

Students who believe they possess sufficient knowledge and who have not previously failed that particular course may apply to take the course equivalency examination for a limited number of courses. Course equivalency examinations must be completed prior to the time the student reaches the last 30 credits for a bachelor degree.

A nonrefundable fee is charged for administering each equivalency exam. Because students may take a course equivalency exam only once for each course, those failing a course equivalency examination must enroll in and complete the course to receive credit. Students wishing to take course equivalency exams must submit their applications to the chair of the academic department offering the course.

Areas of Concentration and Minor Courses of Study

Areas of concentration give students specialized preparation in a degree program. Minor courses of study are coherent academic programs designed to satisfy students’ personal interests and to meet their professional needs. Students may consult with their program chairs or advisors if assistance is needed in choosing areas of concentration or minors. Once a decision is reached, students who wish to declare an area of concentration or minor must do so by contacting the Records Office. Some minor courses of study are not open to students pursuing particular degree programs. A minor must be in a discipline outside the student’s major field of study and restrictions apply to the sharing of courses between a student's major or between two or more minors.

The student becomes subject to the requirements of the minor as stated in the catalog in effect at the time the minor is declared. The department chair responsible for a particular minor determines how students fulfill deficits in credits for a minor and certifies that students are qualified to receive the minor.

Areas of concentration and minor courses of study are posted on the student’s academic transcript at the time the student graduates with a baccalaureate degree.

Change of Degree Program

Students may apply to change their degree programs if they meet academic qualifications and if the degree program is not at capacity. Students should contact their current department chair to initiate the application.

When a student elects to change degree programs, or minors within a degree program, the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time the request was approved apply. Students considering such changes should contact their academic advisor or department chair to determine how they will be affected.

Two Degrees of the Same Rank and Double Majors

A student may pursue more than one bachelor’s degree concurrently and must declare which is to be considered the primary degree, for graduation purposes. For awarding of two bachelors degrees (two diplomas), students must complete all of the required courses for both degrees. The second degree must contain a minimum of 25% more credit hours than is required for the primary degree; at least two-thirds of the additional hours must be in upper division (300-400) courses; at least 60 credit hours must be completed in residence at the University.

Double majors are defined as two programs. That is, the student completes one baccalaureate degree with two different programs; the student receives one diploma. The transcript will reflect one baccalaureate degree with a second major. Requirements for both programs must be completed before the degree conferral can occur. Some pairings of programs may not be available. Students must obtain permission of the appropriate program coordinator to enter a second program. The student becomes subject to the requirements of the second program as stated in the catalog in effect at the time the second major is declared.

Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses

During their senior year, Embry-Riddle undergraduate students may take selected Embry-Riddle graduate courses, normally 500-level, for credit toward their undergraduate or graduate degree. Students must have earned at least 88 credit hours towards their undergraduate degree, have the approval of the program coordinator of the appropriate graduate program, and have at least a 2.50 CGPA to qualify for enrollment in graduate courses while an undergraduate. Credits earned at the 500 level can be applied either to undergraduate or masters degree requirements as designated by the student. Once approved, the designation by the student becomes permanent and may not be changed at a later date.

Continuous Enrollment

Students are considered to be continuously enrolled, regardless of the number of hours for which they register, unless they:

  1. Enroll at another institution without advance written approval.
  2. Fail to enroll in at least one course at Embry-Riddle within two years of their last term of attendance.
  3. Have been suspended or dismissed from the University.

Students failing to maintain continuous enrollment for any reason are required to reapply for admission under the catalog in effect at that time.

Attendance at Other Institutions

Once admitted to the University as degree candidates, students are expected to complete all work to be applied toward their degree with the University unless advance written authorization is granted.

Students in good academic standing must petition in advance to take and receive credit for courses or training, including flight instruction, outside the University while maintaining enrollment at Embry-Riddle. Approval for flight instruction taken away from Embry-Riddle must be obtained in advance and in writing from the Flight Department.

To initiate this procedure, students must process a Petition to Take Courses at Another Institution. Students must provide adequate evidence that the petitioned courses are equivalent to Embry-Riddle courses or are acceptable as elective credit in their degree program. The Records Office evaluators will determine if the requested courses are equivalent and notify the student by returning the approved petition. After the courses are deemed equivalent, the petition is evaluated considering such factors as the reasons for petitioning and the availability of the courses in the University curriculum prior to approval. A course taken at another institution will not replace the grade of a previously completed Embry-Riddle course.

Students may not co-enroll at a local or any other institution. Under certain circumstances, students may be allowed an exception to take courses at a local institution. If a student is nearing graduation and if schedule conflicts and/or course availability would unduly delay completion of degree requirements, the student may petition for a waiver from their College Dean or designee.

After initial matriculation, students may not earn more than 18 semester hours (or the equivalent) at another institution. The last 30 hours toward a bachelor’s degree must be completed in residence at Embry-Riddle.