Graduation Requirements and Honors
Students must complete the general graduation requirements as prescribed by the University, as well as all degree requirements specified in the degree being pursued. The following summary of graduation requirements is provided for all students:
- Students must initiate an application for graduation. The application must be received by the Records Office within the time limit established by that office. A nonrefundable graduation fee will be charged to the student's account.
- Students must successfully complete all required courses for a particular degree listed in the applicable catalog.
- Students must successfully complete the minimum number of credit hours required for the degree as listed in the applicable catalog.
- Students pursuing a baccalaureate degree must complete the last 30 credit hours at the University.
- Students pursuing a baccalaureate degree must complete a minimum of 40 credit hours in upper-division (300 and 400 level) courses. Credit transferred from other institutions will be accepted at the discretion of Embry-Riddle.
- For degree completion, at least 25 percent of semester credit hours must be earned through Embry-Riddle instruction.
- Students pursuing any undergraduate degree must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.00 for all work completed at the University. Candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering and Space Physics must also earn a minimum CGPA of 2.00 in all required core courses. Details are specified under the degree requirement headings of the Academic Programs section in this catalog.
- Students will not be issued a diploma or transcript of their records until all debts or obligations owed to the University have been satisfied.
- Students will not be issued a diploma unless their behavior is in good standing, according to University policies and regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, not being on disciplinary probation.
- Students will not be permitted to participate in the formal graduation ceremony until all the degree requirements listed above have been satisfied or a waiver has been approved by the student’s College Dean. Students anticipating a summer degree completion may participate in the spring ceremony if they meet established guidelines.
- Under no circumstances will an official diploma be awarded, or the student’s transcript annotated as complete, until all of the degree requirements indicated above have been satisfied and grades for all enrolled courses prior to degree completion have been posted to their transcript. Students enrolled in courses whose term ends after the graduation date (or beyond the incomplete period) will degree complete with the next scheduled graduation date.
- Diplomas are mailed to the address provided by the student.
Graduation honors recognize students who have demonstrated excellent performance throughout their Embry-Riddle academic career. They are only awarded to students who complete baccalaureate degree programs. To be eligible, the student must have completed at least 45 credit hours in residence. The level of graduation honors will be based on the cumulative grade point average for all courses taken at Embry-Riddle. The honors level will appear on the student’s academic transcript with the degree information.
Graduation honors (baccalaureate only) will be awarded in accordance with the following criteria:
|Summa Cum Laude||At least 3.90|
|Magna Cum Laude||At least 3.70 and less than 3.90|
|Cum Laude||At least 3.50 and less than 3.70|