Credit: Transfer, Military, Time Limits, and Advanced Standing

Unit of Credit

Semester credits are used throughout the University system.

Transferred quarter hours will be converted to semester credit hours on the following basis: A quarter hour equals two-thirds of a semester hour. Converted credit totals are not rounded to the nearest whole credit.

Release of Student Transcripts From Previous Institutions

Student transcripts from previous institutions that were provided for consideration become the property of ERAU.  ERAU does not release copies of transcripts from other institutions that are part of a student's education record.  A student must contact the originating school for a copy of any transcript.   

Transferability of ERAU Credit to Other Institutions

The acceptance of transfer credit earned with ERAU by any other institution is solely at the discretion of the receiving institution.

Veterans Transfer Credit

Prior academic work and courses taken at other institutions by veteran students and/or eligible students receiving Veterans Education Benefits will be evaluated and credit granted as appropriate and reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as required by law.

Transcribing Transfer and Advanced Standing Credit

Students are eligible for an Embry-Riddle transcript showing credit awarded from other sources toward their degree after they have matriculated.

Matriculation occurs when an applicant has been officially accepted for admission, has enrolled in an Embry-Riddle course within one year of the date of admission, and has maintained that enrollment beyond the drop period. If an applicant fails to maintain enrollment beyond the drop period, he/she will need to reapply for admission.

Continuing-student status is maintained through enrollment beyond the drop period in at least one course within a one-year period. If a student fails to maintain enrollment beyond the drop period, he/she will forfeit active-student status, will need to reapply for admission, and the matriculation process will begin again.

Courses previously taken with ERAU will not immediately matriculate a returning student.

Undergraduate Students:

Once admitted to the University as degree candidates, students are expected to complete all work to be applied toward their degrees with the University unless advance written authorization is granted.

After initial matriculation, students may not earn more than a total of 18 semester credit hours, or that equivalent, at other institutions. It is required that the last 30 credits of a bachelor’s degree, or the last 15 credits of an associate degree, be completed in residence with ERAU.

Active-duty undergraduate military students may transfer more than 18 credits after matriculation and can complete academic residency requirements at any time, to include the last 15 credits of an associate degree and last 30 credits of a bachelor’s degree. 

When an undergraduate military student with a Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) student agreement is unable to take a required course at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – Worldwide, they should follow the process as detailed in SOC Degree Network System-4 Handbook and/or the Guaranteed-Transfer Courses tool to find a current course from another DNS member institution that is guaranteed to transfer to Embry-Riddle Worldwide.

If a course from another institution is listed in the transferability table in the current SOC DNS-4 Handbook as transferable for an Embry-Riddle Worldwide course, and which satisfies a degree requirement, then the student does not require prior approval before taking that course. 

Students should submit transcripts upon completion of the course for credit application. If a course from another academic institution is not listed in the DNS-4 handbook as having guaranteed transferability, students are advised to take the course at Embry-Riddle Worldwide, if possible. If the course cannot be taken from Embry-Riddle, students should obtain prior approval from Embry-Riddle for a specific course that will satisfy the degree course requirement and transfer to Embry-Riddle Worldwide. 

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University limits academic residency to no more than 25 percent of the degree requirements for all undergraduate degrees for active-duty service members (no more than 30 percent for completely online delivery). Per state regulations, for undergrad degree completion, all Virginia Campus students are required to complete a minimum of 30% coursework at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in order to achieve residency.

Academic residency can be completed at any time while active-duty service members are enrolled. Reservists and National Guardsmen on active duty are covered in the same manner.

Students applying prior academic work toward their Embry-Riddle degree program requirements must submit appropriate documentation for such credit as part of the admission process.

Previous academic credit is evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Acceptable transfer work will be recorded on the Embry-Riddle transcript. Embry-Riddle does not accept life-experience credit as transferrable credits towards degree completion.

If courses are not applicable to the student’s degree program at Embry-Riddle, they will be considered as electives in excess of minimum degree requirements. The level of credit (upper- or lower-division) is determined by evaluation of the course at Embry-Riddle.

It is the student’s responsibility to have official transcripts sent to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Transcripts that have been in the possession of a student are not considered official.

Transfer credit may be granted under the following conditions:

  1. Appropriate coursework completed with a grade of A, B, C, pass, satisfactory (or equivalent) will be accepted.
  2. Credits earned at institutions listed as degree-granting institutions in the Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education (AIPE) as recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) will be considered for transfer credit. Undergraduate academic credit is generally accepted without regard to the date the course was completed. Embry-Riddle has sole discretion in determining which and how many transfer credit hours will be accepted toward degree requirements.

Consideration for transfer credit is available only to degree-seeking students. Certificate-only or non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for transfer credit. The only exception to this policy is for specific established corporate agreements.  Transfer credit is not included in GPA/CGPA calculation for any purpose.

Embry-Riddle may, at its discretion, require an evaluation examination for any course submitted for transfer credit if there is doubt concerning the equivalency of the transfer course with a similar course offered at Embry-Riddle.

Embry-Riddle cannot guarantee that courses are transferable unless otherwise established by any contract or memorandum of understanding/agreement currently in effect. Courses are accepted at the discretion of the University.

The transfer student’s records (transcripts, etc.) will be evaluated according to the rules and regulations as described in the catalog and in accordance with University policies in effect at the time of the student’s admission to a degree program.

After evaluation, the student will be notified that an official evaluation has been completed, which details all applicable transfer credit that has been accepted by the University.

Advanced Standing Credit

Advanced standing credit for prior learning may be awarded for postsecondary education, work and/or training experience, or from programs completed before enrollment at Embry-Riddle.  Embry-Riddle does not accept life-experience credit as transferrable credits towards degree completion.

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all documentation of previous course work, military learning experiences, credit by examination, and all FAA certificates are submitted for evaluation, along with the formal application for admission as a degree-seeking student.

Just as official transcripts are required to transfer credit from one university to another, documentation of prior learning through professional training and experience must be official.

  1. Embry-Riddle will accept the minimum scores recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) on all exams offered by CLEP, DSST/DANTES, and Excelsior College Examinations-ECE (formerly REC or ACT-PEP) for the award of undergraduate academic credit. In addition, the amount of academic credit and the academic level (upper- or lower-level) designation recommended by ACE for a passing score on each of the exams will be accepted by the University. As per University policy, credit earned by examination (including CLEP, DSST/DANTES, etc.) must be completed prior to the time the student reaches the last 30 credits of a bachelor’s degree, or the last 15 credits of an associate degree. The number of credits accepted via exam (including CLEP, DSST/DANTES, etc.) is limited by ERAU to 15 credit hours. Active-duty undergraduate military student exceptions are noted below.  University issued challenge exams (not including CLEP, DSST/DANTES, etc.)  were discontinued at ERAU-Worldwide as of June 30, 2013.
  2. Embry-Riddle will generally follow the recommendations of ACE for courses listed in the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs and the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces.
  3. Credit may be granted on the basis of certain FAA licenses with appropriate rating.
  4. Advanced placement may be granted, based upon the existence of earned credit at a postsecondary institution that is determined by the University to demonstrate a higher level of competency than a particular English, math, or accounting course requirement. Under the advanced placement ruling, a course may be waived and considered for the purpose of student advisement to be “met”; however, the student must make up the credit deficit. The deficit may be made up in electives unless otherwise specified by the Department Chair. An advisement report will be maintained in the student information system.

Course Equivalency Exams

As per University policy, exams (including CLEP, DSST/DANTES, etc.) must be completed prior to the time the student reaches the last 30 credits of a bachelor’s degree, or the last 15 credits of an associate degree.

Active-duty undergraduate military students may complete national exams (CLEP, DSST/DANTES, etc.) at any time while pursuing their undergraduate degree and are not restricted to applying exam credits within their last 15 credits for associate degrees or 30 credits for bachelor’s degrees.

Graduate Students:

Credits earned at institutions listed as degree-granting institutions in the Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education (AIPE) as published by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) will be considered.

Credit may be received for certain graduate courses taken as non-degree graduate work or as part of another (completed or incomplete) Embry-Riddle graduate degree program. Only relevant coursework will be applied to an applicant’s graduate degree program at Embry-Riddle.  Transfer credit is not included in GPA/CGPA calculation for any purpose.

The content of the applicable course or other program will be used to determine the nature of the credit to be applied to the student’s degree requirement. The appropriate department chair and program chair will make these determinations.

When transferring from one Embry-Riddle graduate program to another, this credit may include prior work on a Graduate Capstone Project (GCP). The combined total credit applied to an Embry-Riddle graduate degree for most programs is 12 credit hours.

Specifics regarding transferring from a completed Embry-Riddle master’s program to the MBAA program are detailed in the Graduate Academic Programs section of the catalog.

Transfer credit will be granted only if the student demonstrates academic performance expected of a graduate student at Embry-Riddle, meaning that the course was completed with a “B” or better (3.0 on a 4.0 system). Credit for academic work used to satisfy the requirements of an ERAU undergraduate degree will not be accepted toward the requirements of a graduate degree, unless in a program designed to facilitate shared credit.

Seven Year Degree Completion Time Limit

Graduate students are expected to complete their ERAU program of study within seven years to assure course and program currency.  All requirements for an Embry-Riddle master’s degree must be completed within seven years from the date of initial course enrollment following admission to the University regardless of degree change, catalog change, or campus changes.  If a student must reapply for admission, the seven years commences from the start date of the first course enrollment after the most recent admission to the University. A student who completes an ERAU master’s degree and still maintains continuing student status may add another ERAU graduate degree program.  The seven-year degree completion time limit for this student will begin with the start date of the first course enrollment after the add-a-program request date. 

Exceptions to this policy are not permitted, other than those considered for military students readmitted under the provisions of the Higher Education Opportunity Act. The seven-year time limit will not be applied to advanced standing credit for academic work at eligible senior military service schools if the service member is on active duty when accepted for admission. The seven-year limit for such applicants commences on the date the service member separates from active military service.

Seven Year Graduate Course Currency

Prior graduate credit earned with ERAU, as well as any transfer credit, is permitted to satisfy program requirements only if courses were completed within the seven-year period immediately preceding the date the most recent application for admission is received at Worldwide Headquarters.  Credit awarded on the initial evaluation after admission is generally applied to a new program or catalog curriculum version when students request a change of program/catalog, however, courses over seven years old at the time of the request are generally ineligible to satisfy degree programs requirements.

Validated Advanced Placement (VAP)

Graduate students who believe their knowledge and prior learning experience qualify them for master's level credit for a specific Embry-Riddle graduate course may submit the Petition for Award of Validated Advanced Placement (VAP).

To be eligible for an award of VAP credit, students must be admitted to an ERAU graduate degree completion program and have received the completed evaluation of previous credit. Students may petition for VAP credit only once, and this must be done within one year of the first term of enrollment.

The student must submit a VAP petition form, a detailed comparison of the training to the learning outcomes in the outline of the course(s) in question, and creditable supporting documentation to substantiate the petition, which is then retained by the University in the student’s academic file.

ERAU chairpersons will review the petition and make the determination of credit.

There are eligibility maximums established for VAP credit awards. Credits awarded through the VAP process are generally minimal.

Contact the Office of the Registrar at or (866) 393-9046 to request additional information regarding the Validated Advanced Placement process.