Credit: Transfer, Military, Time Limits, and Advanced Standing

Degree Completion Time Limit

Graduate Students:

All requirements for an Embry-Riddle master’s degree must be completed within seven years from the date of initial course enrollment following admission to the University regardless of degree change, catalog change, or campus changes.  If a student must reapply for admission, the seven years commences from the start date of the first course enrollment after the most recent admission to the University.

Unit of Credit

Semester credits are used throughout the University system.

Transferred quarter hours will be converted to semester credit hours on the following basis: A quarter hour equals two-thirds of a semester hour. Converted credit totals are not rounded to the nearest whole credit.

Assessment of Prior Credit

Undergraduate Students:

Once admitted to the University as degree candidates, students are expected to complete all work to be applied toward their degrees with the University Students applying prior academic work toward their Embry-Riddle degree program requirements must submit appropriate documentation for such credit as part of the admission process.

Previous academic credit is evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Acceptable transfer work will be recorded on the Embry-Riddle transcript.

If courses are not applicable to the student’s degree program at Embry-Riddle, they will be considered as electives in excess of minimum degree requirements. The level of credit (upper- or lower-division) is determined by evaluation of the course at Embry-Riddle.

It is the student’s responsibility to have official transcripts sent to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Transcripts that have been in the possession of a student are not considered official.

Transfer credit may be granted under the following conditions:

  1. Appropriate coursework completed with a grade of A, B, C, pass (or equivalent) will be accepted.
  2. Credits earned at institutions listed as degree-granting institutions in the Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education (AIPE) as recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) will be considered for transfer credit. Undergraduate academic credit is generally accepted without regard to the date the course was completed. Embry-Riddle has sole discretion in determining which and how many transfer credit hours will be accepted toward degree requirements.

Consideration for transfer credit is available only to degree-seeking students. Certificate-only or non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for transfer credit. The only exception to this policy is for specific established corporate agreements.  Transfer credit is not included in GPA/CGPA calculation for any purpose.

Embry-Riddle may, at its discretion, require an evaluation examination for any course submitted for transfer credit if there is doubt concerning the equivalency of the transfer course with a similar course offered at Embry-Riddle.

Embry-Riddle cannot guarantee that courses are transferable unless otherwise established by any contract or memorandum of understanding/agreement currently in effect. Courses are accepted at the discretion of the University.

The transfer student’s records (transcripts, etc.) will be evaluated according to the rules and regulations as described in the catalog and in accordance with University policies in effect at the time of the student’s admission to a degree program.

After evaluation, the student will be notified that an official evaluation has been completed, which details all applicable transfer credit that has been accepted by the University.

Advanced Standing Credit

Advanced standing credit for prior learning may be awarded for postsecondary education, or from programs completed before enrollment at Embry-Riddle. Previous academic credit is evaluated on a course-by-course basis.

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all documentation of previous courses, , credit by examination, and all FAA certificates are submitted for evaluation, along with the formal application for admission as a degree-seeking student.

Just as official transcripts are required to transfer credit from one university to another, documentation of prior learning through professional training and experience must be official.

  1. Credit may be granted on the basis of certain ICAO recognized  licenses with appropriate rating.
  2. Advanced placement may be granted, based upon the existence of earned credit at a postsecondary institution that is determined by the University to demonstrate a higher level of competency than a particular English, math, or accounting course requirement. Under the advanced placement ruling, a course may be waived and considered for the purpose of student advisement to be “met”; however, the student must make up the credit deficit and the deficit may be made up in electives. Advisement reports will be maintained in the student information system.

Transcribing Transfer and Advanced Standing Credit

Students are eligible for an Embry-Riddle transcript showing credit awarded from other sources toward their degree after they have matriculated.

Matriculation occurs when an applicant has been officially accepted for admission, has enrolled in an Embry-Riddle course within one year of the date of admission, and has maintained that enrollment beyond the drop period. If an applicant fails to maintain enrollment beyond the drop period, he/she will need to reapply for admission.

Continuing-student status is maintained through enrollment beyond the drop period in at least one course within a two-year period. If a student fails to maintain enrollment beyond the drop period, he/she will forfeit active-student status, will need to reapply for admission, and the matriculation process will begin again.

Courses previously taken with ERAU will not immediately matriculate a returning student.

Graduate Students:

Credits earned at institutions listed as degree-granting institutions in the Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education (AIPE) as published by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) will be considered.

The content of the applicable course or other program will be used to determine the nature of the credit to be applied to the student’s degree requirement. The appropriate department chair and program chair will make these determinations.

When transferring from one Embry-Riddle graduate program to another, this credit may include prior work on a Graduate Capstone Project (GCP). The combined total credit applied to an Embry-Riddle graduate degree is 12 credit hours.

Specifics regarding transferring from a completed Embry-Riddle master’s program to the MBAA program are detailed in the Graduate Academic Programs section of the catalog.

Credit will be granted only if the student demonstrates academic performance expected of a graduate student at Embry-Riddle, meaning that the course was completed with a “B” or better (3.0 on a 4.0 system). Credit for academic work used to satisfy the requirements of an undergraduate degree will not be accepted toward the requirements for a graduate degree, unless in a program designed to facilitate shared credit.

Credit will generally be accepted only for courses that were completed within the seven-year period immediately preceding the date the most recent application for admission is received at ERAU Asia.  Credit awarded on the initial evaluation after admission is generally applied to a new program or catalog curriculum version when students request a change of program/catalog, however, courses over 7 years old at the time of the request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Exceptions to this policy are not permitted.