Undergraduate Regulations and Procedures

Academic Level

Students are classified at the end of each semester based on the total number of credit hours earned in accordance with the following schedule:

First-Year fewer than 28 hours
Sophomore 28-57 hours
Junior 58-87 hours
Senior 88 hours or more

Academic Load

Twelve credit hours constitute the minimum load for full-time student status during the fall and spring terms. The minimum load for full-time student status during each summer session is six credit hours. Students enrolled in fewer credits than the minimum full-time load are classified as part-time. All courses taken for credit are counted in determining the student’s load for a term.

The normal maximum load is 16 hours during spring and fall semesters. During Summer A or Summer B terms students may not take more than 9 credits in a single term, and cannot enroll in more than 16 credits total combining all summer terms. A student whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is 3.00 or higher may register for an overload with prior, written approval of the appropriate department chair or designee.

With advisor's written approval, a student with more than 27 completed Embry-Riddle credit hours and a cumulative Embry-Riddle GPA of 3.00 or higher may register for up to 18 credit hours, in a fall or spring semester, with no increase in tuition for hours over the block. Completed credit hours and a cumulative GPA at the end of the previous terms will be used for eligibility. If you are pre-registered for a future term, your eligibility for block rate will be recalculated at the end of the current term.

Academic Standing


A student whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is less than 2.0 for one term is placed on academic warning. They are restricted to registering for 15 credit hours and they must repeat every course in which they received a grade of F, and it is recommended to repeat grades of D. However, students considering a program change should consult with the new Program Coordinator prior to scheduling any repeated courses. The academic program of a student on warning may be further restricted by the College Dean or designee.


A student whose cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 for two consecutive terms is placed on academic probation.

A student who has a single term GPA of less than 1.0 will be placed on academic probation.

Students on probation are classified as students not in good standing and may not serve as elected members of the Student Government Association, may not participate in intercollegiate athletics as members of a University team, may not serve on the editorial staff of a campus publication, and will lose eligibility for financial aid programs. They are restricted to registering for 12 credit hours and they must repeat every course in which they received a grade of D or F. However, students considering a program change should consult with the new Program Coordinator prior to scheduling any repeated courses. The academic program of a student on probation may be further restricted by the College Dean or designee.

Students who are placed on academic probation will be allowed to complete any flight course in which they are currently enrolled. However, they will not be allowed to enroll in subsequent flight courses until they return to good academic standing. A first-semester student who has a term GPA of less than 1.0 will be required to develop a plan of study with their program coordinator prior to registering.


A student whose term GPA is below 2.0 while on academic probation will be suspended from the university.  If the student maintains a term GPA greater than 2.0 and the student's cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, he or she will remain on academic probation. 

A student on academic warning who has a subsequent term GPA of less than 1.0 will be suspended from the University.


A student who has been suspended and readmitted is on probationary status until the CGPA has been raised to 2.0. If the term GPA falls below 2.0 during the probationary period, the student is dismissed. Any previously suspended student who has been restored to good standing but whose academic performance subsequently deteriorates to a level that would qualify for initial suspension is dismissed. Academic dismissal is final and the student will not be readmitted to the University. Residential campus students desiring to appeal an academic dismissal must submit a petition within 30 days of notification to the campus Registrar through ERNIE Central. The Registrar will forward the petition to the Academic Standards and Readmission Committee. Students will provide documentation to the committee and may appeal in person. The student will also have the option of arranging for representation by a faculty advocate to assist with the pleading of his or her case.

When a change of grade or the conversion of the grade I changes a student’s academic status, the previous academic status of warning, probation, or suspension is removed and does not become part of the student’s permanent record.

Suspension or Dismissal for Cause

The University reserves the right to suspend or dismiss a student at any time and without further reason, if the student exhibits the following undesirable conduct:

  1. Actions that pose a risk to the health, safety, or property of members of the University community, including, but not limited to, other students, faculty, staff, administrative officers, or the student himself/herself.
  2. Conduct that disrupts the educational process of the University.
  3. Any other just cause.


A student who has been suspended from the University for any reason may apply for readmission to the Office of the Registrar through ERNIE Central.

A student who has been academically suspended may apply for readmission after 12 calendar months following the suspension and after completing a minimum of 15 pre-approved hours of academic credit with a CGPA of 2.5 or higher from an accredited institution. If the University readmits such students, they will be admitted with probationary status.

A student who is on academic probation after re-admission from suspension will be dismissed from the university if their semester/term GPA falls below a 2.00.

Dean’s List and Honor Roll

Students must achieve a term GPA of 3.5-4.0 for inclusion on the Dean’s List or 3.20-3.49 for inclusion on the Honor Roll. Students must be enrolled full-time to be eligible for these honors.  A student will not be awarded honors until ALL course work is completed" i.e. incomplete courses and IP flight courses will disqualify a student from dean's list or honor roll. 

To be eligible for semester honors, students must have maintained at least a 2.0 CGPA and must not have received a D or F during the term.  

Degree Program Change

Students may apply to change their degree programs if they meet academic qualifications and if the degree program is not at capacity. The student should contact the program coordinator of the new program to initiate the application. Once the student is accepted into the new degree program they should contact the program coordinator of their current program to complete the process.

When a student elects to change degree programs, the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time the request was approved apply, with certain exceptions. Students considering such changes should contact their academic advisor or department chair to determine how they will be affected.

Dual Degrees

To earn a second baccalaureate degree, students must complete a minimum of 25% of coursework over and above that required for the declared primary degree. At least 60 credit hours must be completed in residence at the University and at least two-thirds additional credit hours must be 300-400 level courses.

Double Majors

Double majors are defined as two programs. That is, the student completes one baccalaureate degree with two different programs; the student receives one diploma. The transcript will reflect one baccalaureate degree with a second major. The student must complete all requirements for both programs before degree conferral can occur. Some pairings of programs may not be open to students seeking the B.S. degree in two programs.  Students must obtain permission of the appropriate program coordinator to enter a second program. The student becomes subject to the requirements of the second program as stated in the catalog in effect at the time of matriculation or of the catalog in effect at the time the second major is declared.

Equivalency Exams

Students who believe they possess sufficient knowledge and who have not previously failed that particular course may apply to take the course equivalency examination for a maximum of 15 credit hours. Course equivalency examinations must be completed prior to the time the student reaches the last 30 credits for a bachelor’s degree.

A nonrefundable fee is charged for administering each equivalency exam. Because students may take a course equivalency exam only once for each course, those failing a course equivalency examination must enroll in and complete the course to receive credit. Students submit their applications to the chair of the academic department offering the course.

Grade Appeal Process

Consistent with the Grievance Process, students are encouraged first to address their issues of concern regarding grades directly with the course instructor to attempt a resolution. If a resolution cannot be reached, students must follow the following procedure:

  • Contact the course instructor to discuss the grade dispute and attempt a resolution.
  • If a resolution cannot be reached with the course instructor, the student must contact the Department Chair responsible for the course in question by providing a written petition outlining the dispute in detail.
  • The Department Chair will notify the student in writing of the outcome.
  • If a resolution cannot be decided at the Department Chair level, the student should then submit the original petition, the written decision from the Department Chair and a request for review to the Dean of the College (or designee) responsible for the course. He/she will render the final decision.
  • The Dean of the College (or designee) will notify the student in writing of the final outcome.
  • The deadline to submit a grade dispute petition to the Dean of the College is six weeks from the date the initial grade was issued, unless otherwise permitted in particular degree programs.

Graduation Requirements

Students must complete the general graduation requirements as prescribed by the University, as well as all degree requirements specified in the degree being pursued. The following summary of graduation requirements is provided for all students:

  1. Students must initiate an application for graduation. The application must be received by the Office of the Registrar online or through ERNIE Central within the time limit established by that office.
  2. Students must successfully complete all required courses for a particular degree listed in the applicable catalog.
  3. Students must successfully complete the minimum number of credit hours required for the degree as listed in the applicable catalog.
  4. Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree must complete the last 30 credit hours at the University, or the last 15 hours if pursuing an associate’s degree.
  5. Students pursuing a bachelor's degree must complete a minimum of 40 credit hours in upper-division (300 and 400 level) courses. Credit transferred from other institutions will be accepted at the discretion of Embry-Riddle.
  6. For degree completion, at least 25 percent of semester credit hours must be earned through Embry-Riddle instruction.
  7. Students pursuing any undergraduate degree must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.00 for all work completed at the University.
  8. Candidates for the B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, B.S. in Civil Engineering, B.S. in Computer Engineering, B.S. in Electrical Engineering, B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, B.S. in Software Engineering, B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Space Physics, B.S. in Systems Engineering and the B.S. in Engineering Physics must also earn a minimum CGPA of 2.00 in all required core courses. Details are specified under the degree requirement headings of the Academic Programs section in this catalog.
  9. Students will not be issued a diploma or transcript of their records until all debts or obligations owed to the University have been satisfied.
  10. Students will not be issued a diploma unless their behavior is in good standing, according to University policies and regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, not being on disciplinary probation.
  11. Students will not be permitted to participate in formal graduation ceremonies conducted at the residential campuses until all the degree requirements listed above have been satisfied. Students anticipating degree completion during the summer terms may be eligible to participate in the spring commencement ceremony if they meet established guidelines.
  12. Following the graduation exercise, the diploma will be mailed to the address provided by the student.

Graduation Honors

Graduation honors recognize students who have demonstrated excellent performance throughout their Embry-Riddle academic career. They are only awarded to students who complete baccalaureate degree programs. To be eligible, the student must have completed at least 45 credit hours in residence. The level of graduation honors will be based on the cumulative grade point average for all courses taken at Embry-Riddle. The honors level will appear on the student’s academic transcript with the degree information.

Graduation honors (baccalaureate only) will be awarded in accordance with the following criteria, no rounding is applied:

Honors Level CGPA
Summa Cum Laude At least 3.900
Magna Cum Laude At least 3.700 and less than 3.900
Cum Laude At least 3.500 and less than 3.700

To be recognized for honors at the formal commencement ceremonies, all degree requirements must have been met.

Off Campus Study

Once admitted to the University as degree candidates, students are expected to complete all work to be applied toward their degrees with the University unless advance written authorization is granted.

Students in good academic standing must petition in advance to receive credit for courses or training, including flight instruction, outside the University while maintaining enrollment at Embry-Riddle. To initiate this procedure, students must process an Off-Campus Petition. If the Office of the Registrar has no formal documentation of course equivalency, students must provide adequate evidence to the course-specific department chair that the petitioned courses are equivalent to Embry-Riddle courses or are acceptable as elective credit in their degree program.

When not enrolled at Embry-Riddle, students must follow normal petition procedures to enroll in courses at another institution. Students may not co-enroll at another institution. After initial matriculation, students may not earn more than a total of 12 semester hours or the equivalent at another institution.

Link to Off Campus Petition form

Undergraduate Student Taking Graduate Course

During their senior year, Embry-Riddle undergraduate students may take selected Embry-Riddle master's courses, normally 500-level, for credit toward their undergraduate or master's degree. Students must have earned at least 75 semester hours applicable to their undergraduate degree, have the approval of the program coordinator of the appropriate master's program, and have at least a 3.0 CGPA to qualify for enrollment in master's courses while an undergraduate. Credits earned at the 500 level normally can be applied either to undergraduate or master's degree requirements as designated by the student. Once approved, the designation by the student becomes permanent and may not be changed at a later date.  An undergraduate student may not enroll in more than 12 credit hours of graduate courses prior to completion of the bachelor's degree and admission to a graduate degree program.