Privacy of Student Records (FERPA)
The University respects the rights and privacy of students in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The University may disclose certain items of directory information without the consent of the student, unless the student submits a written non-disclosure request, verified by University personnel or a notary.
Students are required to file requests for non-disclosure with the Office of the Registrar. Non-disclosure requests remain in place permanently, unless the office is notified otherwise. Students may grant online access to select individuals via the student information system (auxiliary access); requests to grant online access cannot be processed by the Office of the Registrar.
Directory information consists of:
- Student name
- Permanent or local mailing addresses and telephone numbers*
- ERAU e-mail or box address
- Non-ERAU email addresses or account information*
- Date of birth*
- Major courses of study and areas of specialization
- Dates admitted, attended, and graduated
- Enrollment and class status
- Campus, school, or college attended
- Degrees sought or earned, and dates received or anticipated
- Awards, honors, and special programs or recognitions
- Most recent previous school attended
- For student-athletes and scholarship recipients, the ERAU ID and photograph
- Information from public sources
Though directory information may be released without student consent, information of this nature is only released for compelling reasons.
The University shall obtain written consent from students before disclosing any personally identifiable information from their education records with the exception of the directory information.
The receipt of a written request to release an education record electronically satisfies this requirement. Such written consent must specify:
- The records to be released
- The purpose of the disclosure
- Identify the party or class of parties to whom disclosure may be made and their address
- Do not designate a recipient fax number for requests, including academic transcripts; transcripts are not available via fax. If urgency exists, students are advised to request the delivery of an electronic transcript, via Transcripts on Demand® (TOD) from Credentials eScrip-Safe
- Must be signed and dated by the student or former student
An institution may release personally identifiable information from a student's educational record without the student's written consent as required under federal law if the disclosure meets one or more of the conditions as defined under the Exceptions to Written Consent Requirement (§99.31).
The law authorizes students and former students the right to inspect and review information contained in their education records.
Students can submit written requests to the Office of the Registrar. Once a request is received, The Office of the Registrar is required to make the records available for inspection and review within 45 days.
FERPA allows disclosure of educational records or components thereof under certain conditions. Students desiring additional information regarding FERPA may review the ERAU Worldwide FERPA Notification in ERNIE or contact the Registrar’s Office.